3rd Grade Language Arts
This week in Room A15: September 20-24
Treasure Island Unit
Monday: Focus Question: Should shipwreck debris be removed from ocean floor?
- Continue our discussion about the Titanic and whether or not wreckage/debris is considered "treasure"
- Read the article "Kids Were Onboard the Titanic, Too" independently
- Show understanding of a new text by answering questions
- Complete the RACER essay graphic organizer based on new text
- Show understanding of a new text by writing
Tuesday: Focus Question: Should shipwreck debris be removed from ocean floor?
- Use RACER essay organizer handout to write final draft of opinion essay
Wednesday: Focus Question: How does greed motivate or change people?
- Read Chapters 11-13 of Treasure Island
- Retell events of chapters 11-13 by creating posters
- Present posters
- Comprehensive Quiz over Part II of Treasure Island
Friday: Focus Question: How does greed motivate or change people?
- Read chapter 14 of Treasure Island
- Examine Point of View in Chapter 14
- Examine Point of View in Chapters 12-13
- Complete Point of View chart with group
- Vocabulary Quiz
Week of September 20-24: Treasure Island Chapters 11-13
About Mrs. Harriman
I graduated from Southaven High School in 2003 and then attended University of Mississippi where I received my Bachelor's in Elementary Education. I decided to go back to school in 2016 and obtained my Master's in Educational Leadership from Arkansas State University August 2018.
This is my 14th year as a 3rd grade teacher at SIS! :)
A little about me.....
My name is Ashley Harriman, and I was born in Memphis Tennessee. I grew up in Olive Branch and Southaven, MS. I attended Hope Sullivan Elementary, Southaven Middle School, and graduated from Southaven High School in 2003. I was the child who LOVED going to school each day and loved starting a new year with a new teacher and a new set of friends. Some of my favorite people were my teachers, and I guess that's why I became one. To be a light for a child means more to me than anything!
After graduating from high school, I was accepted into the University of Mississippi in Oxford, MS. After two years at the Oxford Campus, I decided to come back home and attend the Ole Miss DeSoto Center. I was able to be with friends and family plus I lived FREE with my parents! I graduated with my teaching degree in 2008.
After I graduated college, I was hired as a third grade teacher. This is my 14th year teaching at SIS. Southaven Intermediate is a great school with a fabulous staff...I am so blessed to be teaching here. I decided July of 2016 to begin my journey towards a Master's degree through the Arkansas State online program and graduated August 2018 with honors. I love being a life-long learner and I love being able to mentor to other teachers.
My family means the world to me! My husband is Justin who is also a product of DeSoto County Schools. I have a 14 year old daughter, Kate, and an 11 year old boy, Kobe. They both attend DeSoto County Schools. I have my hands full, but I wouldn't change ANYTHING!!!
I get really excited about teaching and learning, so get ready for a fun filled year!! I can't wait!!!
Click the image below to listen to the story "Pete the Cat and the Treasure Map" by James Dean.
Click on the following image to find a lot of fun and interesting facts about real pirates.